The old town hall of Christiania (now Oslo)
Gamle Raadhus was built by the deputy mayor Lauritz Hansen in 1641 with financial support from King Christian IV. It was originally built to be the city's first town hall, but was later used as a fire station, church, private residence, high court, the cityʼs assembly rooms, a prison, Freemasonsʼ meeting place, restaurant and museum. The original prison cells have been preserved in the building's basement and serve today as a wine cellar and banqueting room for up to 20 people.
In 1856 the building was transferred to the restaurateur Matheus Helseth and a restaurant was opened on the ground floor. From 1980 the Theatre Museum used the first floor. After many years in decline, Gamle Raadhus opened its doors once again in 1983, newly restored and with new owners.