The original restaurant was built in 1916
In 1927 the Oslo architect Lars Backer won the competition to design the new Ekebergrestauranten. The original restaurant was built as early as 1916, by Tiedemanns tobacco factory.
Two years after the competition, in 1929, one of Europeʼs foremost buildings in the Functionalist style was complete, to the delight of all the people of Oslo.
Today it is a listed building, and any renovation work is based on the idea of cherishing the classic style but modernising it for a new age.
Towards the end of the 1990s Ekebergrestauranten was closed and allowed to decline unchecked, until Christian Ringnes and Eiendomsspar bought the site and announced a large-scale investment. Together with restaurateur Bjørn Tore Furset, they have now created a modern building that still retains all its classic features.